I love chicken recipes that are super easy to put together – and this one is definitely one you’ll keep handy for a LONG time!
When it comes to making a quick dinner, the Instant Pot plays a huge part – it can cook chicken from frozen in just 25 minutes… or, chicken from thawed in even LESS time. Combine that chicken with coconut milk, spices, and a little salt for a really amazing, saucy chicken you can serve over rice.
Let me tell you a secret: this is SO amazing.. you will want to make it over, and over, and over again!
The leftovers (if you have any!) are JUST as good the next day, too!
We pulled this recipe together from frozen breasts – if you have breasts that are thawed out, it’ll take you even LESS time. If you don’t have full fat (canned) coconut milk, I recommend THIS variety from Amazon. We usually keep 6-8 cans in the pantry at all times because it can be used for SO many things.
If you are in a pinch, you can also find full fat (canned) coconut milk in your local grocer – Kroger, Safeway, Albertsons – even Walmart.
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 C. water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper - optional
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt or more to taste
- 2 Tbsp cilantro for garnish
- Using frozen chicken breasts: Place the frozen chicken breasts in your Instant Pot with 1/2 C. water. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and close the valve - push manual (high) pressure and set the timer for 26 minutes.
- Using thawed chicken breasts: Place the thawed chicken breasts in your Instant Pot with 1/2 C. water. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and close the valve - push manual (high) pressure and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- After the pot beeps, release the pressure, dump the water and remove the chicken.
- Pull the chicken, and set aside.
- Add the oil, garlic and onion to the Instant Pot - use the saute function and cook until the onion and garlic 2-3 minutes; turn the saute function off.
- Add the chicken back to the pot along with the coconut milk, cumin, turmeric, smoked paprika, and black pepper - combine well.
- Add 1 1/2 tsp sea salt - stir to combine, add more as needed.
- Serve over rice.
- Use coconut milk to make the recipe dairy free. If without coconut milk, use full fat greek yogurt - though at this point it will not be dairy free.