This Chicken Pot Pie in the Instant Pot is a great way to cut down on cook time. You can do it all in the Instant Pot or you can do half of it on the stove. Read through our step by step instructions to make the decision on what will work best for your needs. I didn’t have a lot of time so I did the chicken in the Instant Pot and then the filling on my stove top and it cut my prep time down by 40 minutes to 15 minutes. So it is a great to be able to get home, put together and then toss in the oven. On this one I had my sister help me since she is still learning to cook.
Chicken Pot Pie in the Instant Pot
What you need
- 1 lb of chicken
- 1 bag frozen mixed veggies
- 1 lb of potatoes, diced
- 16 oz of chicken broth
- 1 pie crust
- 1 egg white
- 1.5 cups of milk
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of onion, diced
- salt and pepper
How to make
- Place your chicken in the pressure cooker with the chicken broth
- Let cook for 7 minutes, I used tenders I had on hand. If using whole chicken breasts, increase cook time to 15 minutes.
- While that is pressuring up you can cut up your potatoes and celery. I leave my skin on my potatoes because of the added nutrients it has.
- Place the frozen vegetables, potatoes, celery, and onion in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat for 8 minutes. You may add water or a small amount of oil to prevent sticking.
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, allow to naturally pressure release.
- TURN ON YOUR OVEN TO 400 at this time.
- After the pressure has released, shred the chicken and place chicken only (save broth), into the saucepan with vegetable mixture.
- Mix in the flour, salt, and pepper into the saucepan and stir well.
- After mixed in well, you will add 3/4 cup of milk and 3/4 reserved broth from Instant Pot.
- It will still be thick, so you will want to add the rest of the 3/4 milk and 3/4 broth
- Now it will look more like the inside of a chicken pot pie.
- Scoop mixture into a pie plate, ramekins, or other oven safe dish and top with pie crust.
- Use egg white to brush across the top of crust for the golden brown you want.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-25 minutes or until crust is browned and the pot pie is bubbling.
This homemade chicken pot pie in the Instant Pot is a great option for a comfort food meal. You can alternately add all ingredients into the Instant Pot after the chicken is done cooking and cook on the saute function for 5-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and it is beginning to thicken.